R. Hastie Ray was born on August 6, 1890 in Red Oak, Iowa to R. Nelson and Belle Hastie Ray. He
had twin brothers, N. Dewitt and B. Dwight, who along with Hastie became co-owners of the
Indiana County Gazette and the Indiana Evening Gazette in 1911. Within a year of taking over,
Mr. Ray abandoned the weekly publication and concentrated on the daily.
Mr. Ray primarily worked with the editorial operation of the Gazette. He served as editor,
managing editor, and managing director, as well as co-publisher along with his brothers.
However, realizing that both circulation and advertising are the livelihood of a newspaper as
well as the comprehensive coverage of the news, Mr. Ray was diligent in his pursuit of all
He not only had an interest in expanding the Gazette, but he also wanted to help expand and
develop the small town of Indiana, Pennsylvania. He worked diligently within the community and
had great ideas for Indiana County.
He had a big part in the promotional efforts to support the growth of the Jimmy Stewart Airport
and the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He early envisioned the need of a recreation lake
for Indiana County which came to fruition in the opening of Yellow Creek State Park. He also
supported youth activities such as with the soap box derby and youth activities at the Indiana
Mr. Ray was a past president of the Indiana County Chamber of Commerce and served as director
for many years. His community service was recognized in 1961, as a recipient of the Indiana
Jaycees Distinguished Service Award and in 1962 with the Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Citation for Distinguished Service.
Mr. Ray was married to the former Lucille O’Hare. He had two daughters, Mrs. Sally (Dave) Naylon
and Mrs. Lucilla (Joe) Donnelly. He passed away at age 87.