Lewis McGill founded one of the most recognizable auto dealerships in Indiana County: McGill Motors Inc. Stared with his brother G. Weston McGill, Lewis was president of the company for 27 years before retiring in 1973 and selling the business to Everett Hilliard and James Snyder. McGill Motors was the largest auto dealership in Indiana during his time with numerous locations that specialized in different vehicles.
Before establishing the Ford dealer in Indiana, he was employed by McCrory Stores Corp. and A.B. Dick Co.
McGill received the first Man of the Year award from the Indiana County Chamber of Commerce in 1951 and in 1977 was named the first director emeritus. He was also active in the formative days of the chamber and served as president in 1950.
Born Dec. 7, 1908, in Minneapolis, McGill spent his early life in Wheaton, Ill., where he graduated from Wheaton High School in 1927 and Wheaton College in 1931. He came to Indiana in 1945.
McGill was a member of Graystone Presbyterian Church, Indiana, and the church’s Foster Bible Class. He served on the board of trustees for many years. He was a member of the Kiwanis Club for 40 years In 1965, he received the distinguished service award given by the Indiana Jaycees. McGill also received the title “Honorary Life Board members” for long distinguished service to the Indiana United Fund.
In 1978, he was inducted into the Wheaton College Hall of Honor for his contributions to the college football and basketball teams. McGill was active in the Community Chest, United Fund, Boy Scouts, Little League Baseball, borough and township construction projects, various municipal authorities, merchant and business groups, Indiana Hospital, YMCA, industrial development and Jimmy Stewart Airport. He also acted as chairman in the campaign for Representative Frank E. Moore in 1970.
He and wife Myrtle Christensen McGill had two daughters, Rodney (Carol) Carter and Maurice (Marilyn) LeResche. McGill died in 1987 at age 79.